Calling all passionate and seasoned art curators! We have an exciting opportunity for a gallery manager at a highly acclaimed gallery in the Cape Town Waterfront.
The gallery commissions, produces and exhibits limited-edition design and functional art by the most compelling producers in Africa. The gallery has pioneered the collectible design category on the continent, propelling its artists and designers to make original work that is distinctly African and globally relevant.
The candidate will represent the gallery, and the associated activities of the gallery group.
The primary functions of the position include:
- Working with the founders to determine the ongoing strategy
- Promoting and building the gallery and the brand in existing and new markets.
- Stimulating and promoting the South African design industry.
- Cultivating the careers of emerging and established artists.
- Promoting and selling limited edition design and art pieces.
- Facilitating exhibitions and collaborations both locally and internationally.
- Liaising with local and international partners including galleries, museums, fairs and institutions
- Promoting South Africa as a destination for manufacture and collaboration
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- Strategizing, developing and maintaining the gallery’s remit in collaboration with the gallery founders and ensuring the smooth running of the gallery.
- Creative and curatorial work, alongside the creative team.
- Promoting and selling artists’ work, through the gallery, exhibitions, fairs and digitally – including commission structures, discount negotiations and developing new sales strategies.
- Managing and extending the client databases including leads administration and global research.
- Maintaining close working relationships with established artists from the gallery’s stable and developing relationships with new artists to the gallery.
- House visits and assisting clients with appraisals on artworks and special commissions.
- Negotiating with gallery managers and curators from other galleries to arrange loans.
- Working with international partners on exhibitions, manufacturing, shared artists, exchanges etc.
- International Fair applications and management.
- Curation and management of international online platform product listings.
- Assisting with the cataloguing of artworks and managing records and archives
- General administration, budgeting, finance and accounts in coordination with other departments.
- Maintaining on-going promotion through events, messaging and activations, working alongside the communications department
- Working with the logistics department to ensure safe transport of goods for sales and international exhibitions
- Managing any assistant staff, including scheduling and briefing on technical and artistic matters relating to programming.
- Excellent communications skills and the ability to engage authentically with clients and artists.
- Creative vision and an understanding of the art world.
- Sales negotiation skills, in person and via email, including numeracy and analytical skills.
- Functional computer literacy including excel calculations and digital sales systems.
- Flexibility for travel, locally and internationally, with fair notice.
- Ability to problem solve, multi-task and work under pressure.
- Fastidious attention to detail, record keeping and accuracy.
- Independent working methods requiring decision-making, responsibility and accountability.
- Big picture thinking with an understanding of the overall brand identities and goals
SHOULD YOU NOT RECEIVE A RESPONSE WITHIN 3 WORKING DAYS OF YOUR APPLICATION PLEASE TAKE IT THAT YOUR APPLICATION HAS BEEN UNSUCCESSFUL.